Now what are you gonna do?
How ever will you occupy yourself now?
These questions and all questions like them are grating on my ever last nerve!
For the last six months or so, I have been asked this on occasion because everyone knew Madison was heading of to kindergarten and I would have no babies at home for the first time in 7 years. As August quickly approached, the questions came more and more frequently from friends, family, acquaintances, hell even strangers would ask me...
The question always makes me a bit uncomfortable and I quickly issue my standard response... "Wellllll, I plan to have a clean house for the first time in seven years and I am looking forward to the opportunity to volunteer in the kids' school. After all, it won't be long before they will not want me to do that" and I do this weird laugh, have a faker than fake smile, roll my eyes so hard in my mind they want to pop out my head, and quickly move onto the next order of discussion (anything that is not what I am going to do).
What I really want to say? Its none of your %$@(*^! business. If I want to sit on my lazy ass all day, pick my nose, all while watching The View in my yoga pants by god I'm gonna! (note: I do not do these things. I don't even know if the view is still on air... just examples peeps just examples)
The best is when my mom says, "Well, what the heck did you waste all that time in college for if you aren't going to use your degrees?" This usually ends with me becoming annoyed and sighing a huge whatever mom.
So, I'm just gonna put the truth out there...
- Yes, I went to college. Did I ever intend to teach? Maybe briefly. For about 5 minutes. Honestly? It was my "back up plan". I mean every girl needs a good back up (I learned this from the best Thanks Mo!)
- The thought of being trapped in an office makes me break out in hives. Fo' REAL! I mean, I would be the chick flitting (yes flitting) from cube to cube or desk to desk chatting with everyone getting ZERO work done. I would not be able to sit for an hour let alone 8! I would be fired in... oh; about 2.5 seconds!
- Jason and I waited a LOOONG time to have children. Hello we were married for 10 years before we decided to give it a go! We purposely waited because we BOTH wanted me to be at home with them and we BOTH knew that we needed to get our ducks in a row in order to do so.
- Will I ever work? I have no clue. Maybe? Never say never... Clearly if our situation changed I'd be knocking on every door possible in order to get a job. I am so very thankful for the opportunity to stay home, but it things changed... Come hell or high water I would make it work and do right by my family. I love children, I have worked with them my ENTIRE working adult life. One day I may miss it and head back. I don't know, all I know is right now I have a little gig going 3 hours a week playing with 4 wee ones and that is more than enough for me... Plus Jason likes me home. I mean who else can pop into the tax office on a dime because he forgot to mail something in...
- My brain is not rotting. I am not uninteresting. I have relevant thoughts and ideas. I do not only cook and clean. Hell, I hardly do either of those things. I am not lazy. For the past 7 years I have dedicated 99.9% of my time to my little peeps. I have enjoyed every single second. I have been thankful for the opportunity to be home with them. I would not change those 7 years ever. BUT with that said, if I want to read a book all day, lunch with friends, shop, or just veg I have earned the right to do so.