January 1, 2011

Holy Crap! HELP!!!

OMG We have been having some MAJOR bedtime issues at Casa de Crazy lately! Going to Disney and sleeping with the minis made it bad and after my visit to my mom's its even worse (I didn't think that could be possible, BUT yeah it totally is!)

Anthony is fine, hops in bed, snuggles in, and is OUT... Like always. Madison? Bedtime is a HUGE battle! She screams, she cries, she throws things, she slams the door, she freaks the heck out! All she wants is to sleep in my room...

First, let me start by saying I am not completely cold hearted... She has her lights ON, her door OPEN, and her radio ON. I let her pick books to read and I have even told her she can play with her dollhouse if she isn't tired... (She IS tired, exhausted really, she is just "scared and lonely"...) Nothing works. NOTHING! Each night we have more of the screaming, crying, and full on craziness, BUT I won't give in... She is NOT sleeping in MY bed!

Co-sleeping works great for tons of peeps, just not for me... I like my bed and I like it uncrowded. Its not like this is a new thing. She has slept in her room by herself for 3 and a half years! Now don't get me wrong, if you wake up from a nightmare, come on in and snuggle up, but absolutely NO WAY are you starting your night in my bed....

I have ignored her, I have yelled at her, I have indulged all of her one mores, I have started a sticker chart, I have reasoned with her, I have been nice, I have been stern... NOTHING seems to work!

She's fine during stories, she's fine when I tuck her in, she's fine while she reads the couple of books she brought to bed with her, and THEN all HELL breaks loose! I am at a loss... What do I do? I hate sending her to bed so upset. I hate that Anthony has to fall asleep listening to all the commotion. I hate being mean, but I fear if I let her come to my bed, she'll never leave. She used to go to bed fine, but the past few months have been terrible... So for all you experienced peeps out there, hook a mama up! What's a girl to do when bedtime goes awry?!? HELP!

PLEASE!

5 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Staci, have you tried recording you or Jason tellin a bedtime story or two and playing it when you leave the room so she still hears your voices? IDK if it will work but it might????

Staci said...

I have not, she does sleep with a picture of us, but I may head out to Halmark tomorrow and give it a try! Great idea :) THANKS!

Banteringblonde said...

That's a cute idea with the book - I saw those at Hallmark. I'm with you, I like my bed and you are smart to not give in because as soon as you do it becomes another battle. I wish I had some advice but I'm no good with battles...

Jen said...

My two cents, for whatever it is worth - I saw this on Super Nanny and it really made sense: Tuck her back in the first time & be nice, but short and to the point - it's bedtime, she sleeps in her bed, Anthony sleeps in his bed and you and Jason sleep in your bed. Next time, tuck her back in, kiss her good night. After that, no interaction. If she comes out, just keep putting her back in bed, no talking, no snuggling, no kissing.

Jason (turned 3 in November) is coming out of his room now, and I've found that the more I interact with him, the more he comes out. He wants attention, and if I don't give it to him, he stops trying. But he's pretty agreeably natured anyway :) Good luck!!!

Aubrey said...

For what it's worth, if all else fails, get a cot. She won't be in your bed. You can move her back to her bed when you go to bed, and if she wakes up again in the middle of the night maybe she'll crawl in the cot without waking you up.
I did awesome with babes 1 and 2 but this third one, sometimes sleeps in her cot. And at least I am still getting sleep that way too. ;-)
During the day I tuck it away under my bed! AND it serves double duty now for sleep overs for the older kids.